Originally built in 1863, at a cost of $2,107, the Helmick Covered Bridge was an integral part of commerce in the village of Helmick during the early days. The bridge provided access to two grist mills used by farmers from as far as 25 miles away. Named for Congressman William Helmick of Tuscarawas County, the covered bridge was built by John Shrake of Newark, Ohio. The bridge fell into decay and was closed in 1981. Citizens raised over $250,000 to restore the bridge and completed the project in 1996. Today, travelers can once again enjoy the scenic beauty of one of Ohio’s oldest covered bridges, the one and only in Coshocton County.